hung (See hang)
1 a special way of doing something; "he had a bent for it"; "he had a special knack for getting into trouble"; "he couldn't get the hang of it" [syn: bent, knack]
2 the way a garment hangs; "he adjusted the hang of his coat"
3 a gymnastic exercise performed on the rings or horizontal bar or parallel bars when the gymnast's weight is supported by the arms
1 be suspended or hanging; "The flag hung on the wall"
2 cause to be hanging or suspended; "Hang that picture on the wall" [syn: hang up]
3 kill by hanging; "The murdered was hanged on Friday" [syn: string up]
4 let drop or droop; "Hang one's head in shame"
5 fall or flow in a certain way; "This dress hangs well"; "Her long black hair flowed down her back" [syn: fall, flow]
6 be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive; "This worry hangs on my mind"; "The cloud of suspicion hangs over her"
7 give heed (to); "The children in the audience attended the recital quietly"; "She hung on his every word"; "They attended to everything he said" [syn: attend, advert, pay heed, give ear]
8 be suspended or poised; "Heavy fog hung over the valley"
9 hold on tightly or tenaciously; "hang on to your father's hands"; "The child clung to his mother's apron" [syn: cling]
10 be exhibited; "Picasso hangs in this new wing of the museum"
11 prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury
12 decorate or furnish with something suspended; "Hang wallpaper"
13 be placed in position as by a hinge; "This cabinet door doesn't hang right!"
14 place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction; "hang a door"
15 of meat, in order to get a gamey taste; "hang the venison for a few days" [also: hung]hung adj : (usually followed by `with' or used in a combining form) having items suspended on or from a support; "walls hung with valuable paintings"; "a vine-hung trellis"
- Rhymes with: -ʌŋ
- simple past of hang
- We hung our wet clothes by the fireplace to dry.
past tense of "to hang"
- past participle of hang
- In the past people were hung for stealing horses.
Past participle of "to hang"
suspended by hanging
- Finnish: ripustettu
- Norwegian: opphengt
endowed with hanging additions or appendages
- Norwegian: behengt
endowed with a large penis
- Norwegian: velutstyrt
- Portuguese: dotado
- Romanian: pulos
- Spanish: vergón
of a jury that is unable to reach its decision
Hung can refer to:
- Hung language, a Viet-Muong language spoken in Laos.
- Hung is one of the transliterations of the sixth syllable in Buddhist "Six syllable mantra" Om mani padme hum.
- William Hung, sang "She Bangs" on American Idol
- Sammo Hung, a Chinese actor and director of martial arts movies.
- A colloquial (slang) term used in reference to a human male who has a large penis, usually in reference to the length of the penis in its flaccid state.
- Hung is an EP and a song by Napalm Death.
- Hung : A Meditation on the Measure of Black Men in America is a book by Scott Poulson-Bryant.
- Hung, a short film by Guinevere Turner.
- A computer program is said to be hung when in an infinite loop.
- A hung jury is a jury that is unable to reach a unanimous verdict.
- A person who has attempted to slam dunk and failed to jump high enough is said to have been hung.
- Hung is the title of a 1970 novel by Dean Koontz (published under the name Leonard Chris)
- Hung Vuong was the king of Vietnam Hùng Vương
- Hung (Warhammer): the location in the Chaos Wastes.